Monday, February 10, 2014

Every Bride and Groom is Special!

Ok so I realized this weekend I have not updated my blog in over a year!!!! So much has happened  I have a lot to catching up to  do! It may take more then one post to do so.

I believe in my last post I had just attended my first bridal show. At the time I was fairly sure the bridal world was not ready for a bride and groom who were both in wheelchairs.  Thankfully I was wrong!  We now have a venue, my dress, bridal party dresses, a photographer, and a DJ!

Searching for a venue was intere
sting to say the least. Finding place to accommodate a bride and groom who both use wheelchairs and a guest list of over 200 with about 12 of those guest also using a wheelchairs was the first mission to accomplish. Needless to say watching peoples faces when I questioned them about things such as do we have to use long tablecloths, (cause they will get caught in wheelchairs) what the bathrooms look like, can the door be closed with a wheelchair inside  and how can we accommodates males who will be coming with female care providers or aids were three question I am pretty sure they don't  hear very often. However these were very important questions for us to have answered.  I also never thought about not being able to use a bridal suite, the ones I saw were  not accessible for wheelchairs, even I took that one for granite.

Fortunately, after a bit of searching, we did find a venue that was able to accommodate our unique needs.  Michael's 8th Avenue was intimated, they treated us like every other bride a groom, they did not focus on the problems or the fact that "its so special and amazing" that we are in wheelchairs and we are getting married.  (I mean we are special an amazing! But wheelchairs are not the reason!)

They have given us the entire building for our special day! We have three of the four ballrooms and access to all four bathrooms, which means we can make a "family" restroom and not have to worry about the awkwardness of men in the women's room or vice versa... It may sound like a little thing but believe me to those who find themselves in that situation, it was less thing to worry about!

They are also creating a bridal suite for me! Since it is an older building there is not an elevator, however the only thing upstairs is the bridal suite, so they are going to make one in the small ballroom for me.  I get to get ready in a special room like every other bride.

That is the ultimate goal for Kevin and I we want our day to be special, not because we have disabilities. But because every bride and groom deserves a special day all of their own.  And one way or another it will be!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers